Localization of TimeSpanPicker

May 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM
Edited May 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Hi,

is added localization support for TimeSpanPicker on the roadmap? Because I'm using the picker in my app and my app is available in 5 languages. Therefore it would be great if TimeSpanPicker will also be localized.

Coordinator
May 2, 2011 at 9:03 PM

That is a bit harder to do, is the SL toolkit time and date pickers localized?

May 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I'm not sure because I'm using time and date pickers from Telerik RadControls and they are localized.

Coordinator
May 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Chatted with steph, she said she would look into it.

Developer
May 5, 2011 at 11:11 AM

In progress : will be available soon

May 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM

cool, thx

Coordinator
May 6, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Checked in, Thanks steph!

May 6, 2011 at 12:19 PM
Edited May 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM

thx a lot, I just tried it out.

Here is the feedback:

1. Here are the correct German translations:

cancel = abbrechen
done = bestätigen
title = DAUER AUSWÄHLEN

2. Spanish translation is wrong. It's currently in Korean :-D. Here are the correct ones:

title = ELEGIR DURACIÓN
hour = hora
minute = minuto
second = segundo
done = listo
cancel = cancelar

3. Correct French title: CHOISIR DE LA DUREE

4. Currently the localization is language AND region specific. This is a problem for example with de-DE and de-AT --> German (German) and German (Austria). If someone has set his phone to German (Austria) the German localization of TimeSpanPicker will not work because its specific to German (German).

Solution:

a. Change the language and region specific resource to region neutral. Instead of Resources.de-DE.resx it should just be Resources.de.resx

b. The SupportedCultures tag in the TestApplication.csproj file should be changed to: <SupportedCultures>fr;es;it;de</SupportedCultures>

At least this is how I understood how to support multiple languages but be region neutral. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637520%28VS.92%29.aspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sb6a8618.aspx)

Developer
May 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Hello Buju, thx for the feedback

- Sorry for the mix up between korean and spanish (wrong copy/paste !)

- About the french translation, the initial one was correct (I'm French ;o) ).

- About the region specific : I turned region specific on purpose because the initial code uses CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.DateTimeFormat which only supports region specific.

I should consider changing entirely this part of the code which is also common to the DateTimePicker of the SL4 Toolkit (which is NOT localized).

I will have a look at that as soon as I can, but until then, if you need more langages or want to make your own changes, you can download the source code and put as many langages you want.

Again, thank you for your feedback...

Stéphanie

May 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM

sry for the French correction. My friend wasn't sure about that one ;)

but the German one are correct because I'm Austrian. And for Spanish I ask a Spanish friend of mine so that should also be correct :)

The 5 languages you added was exactly the ones I'm using in my app, so I don't have to add additional languages ;)

Coordinator
May 6, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Updated/corrected language packs

May 13, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Can you add also Czech translation please?

title = NASTAVIT ČAS
hour = hodina
minute = minuta
second = sekunda
done = hotovo
cancel = zrušit

ISO language code: cs-CZ

Thanks a lot!

Coordinator
Feb 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM

vasek7, added, can you verify that it works, I can't seem to get the language to set to verify.  Can't get Korean to set either but it "looks" correct.  Have same behavor with the SL Toolkit so I can only assume it is due to my emulator / phone images.

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM

It works well. Thanks!

May 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Can you add also Polish translation please?

title = USTAW CZAS
hour = godzina
minute = minuta
second = sekunda
done = gotowe
cancel = anuluj

ISO language code: pl-PL

Thanks a lot!

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM

your translation is slightly of, "choose the time" is not what the time span picker does, it chooses a duration of time.  "WYBIERZ CZAS TRWANIA" is what i think the proper translation is.

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Checked in polish, please verify with the test application.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Can you also add Russian translation please?

title = УСТАНОВИТЕ ДЛИТЕЛЬНОСТЬ
hour = час
minute = минута
second = секунда
done = готово
cancel = отмена

ISO language code: ru-RU

Thanks a lot!
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Andreb, Russian is already added.
Dec 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM
crutkas, you are right, I looked into the sources. Unfortunately in my 7.1 project I still see the dialog in English even though I added Russian support to the project. Is there anything more have I to do but selecting Russian in supported cultures of the project? Can you please direct me to the link with the correct localization example of TimeSpanPicker?

Thank you very much in advance!
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM
looks like this may be an issue with how I did the test app / nuget. https://coding4fun.codeplex.com/discussions/471297#post1131257 and https://coding4fun.codeplex.com/workitem/8988 have a tracking issue for this.
Jan 3 at 11:05 PM
Clint, thank you for your reply. I've installed the toolkit via nuget. I looked into my project directory\packages\Coding4Fun.Toolkit.Controls.2.0.7\lib\wp71 and I do not see any folders with language resources, I see only Coding4Fun.Toolkit.Controls.dll. Is this a problem with the way I've installed the toolkit? Is there any way to get resources dlls?

One more question. I configured my project to support region-neutral culture (ru) instead of ru-RU (Russian Russia). Does the toolkit support this configuration? Is it enough to copy the resources dll from ru-RU into ru folder?

Thank you very much in advance!