ToastPrompt - Problems with Canvas.ZIndex (minor)

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Hi there!

Just testing your nice control. Found a little issue: As I have a selfmade PopUp that will overlay all the content I have a 100% Screen Canvas with PopUp using ZIndex = 2 and Content was at ZIndex = 1 (nothing was at ZIndex = 0). In the Content there is a Pivot Control. With those Settings, the ToastPrompt appeared opaque as it overlay the not selected PivotItemHeaders. The selected (most left-side) PivotHeader was in front of the toast, partly covering the Toast's Image. Very odd. All worked perfectly when I changed the PivotControls ZIndex to 0, so I think this is a very minor issue.

So don't show this nice control and a ZIndex >0 in the same area at the same time folks :)

Happy x-mas,

Frank

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Hey Frank, can you create an issue with a repo for me?  I want to be sure I solve this issue.

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2011 at 9:25 PM

you're using a canvas as your root instead of a grid, correct?  I think the easy solution here would be to just make the zindex for any popup to be int.maxvalue

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Von: crutkas <notifications@codeplex.com>
Gesendet: 14.12.2011 22:25:53
An: moin_krumnow@web.de
Betreff: Re: ToastPrompt - Problems with Canvas.ZIndex (minor) [coding4fun:282933]

you're using a canvas as your root instead of a grid, correct? I think the easy solution here would be to just make the zindex for any popup to be int.maxvalue

SMS schreiben mit WEB.DE FreeMail - einfach, schnell und
kostenguenstig. Jetzt gleich testen! http://f.web.de/?mc=021192
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Hey Frank, nothing was written.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Oops sorry!

1st : happy new year!

I'm using only a canvas there as root right. But I used it with odd settings: I did not use zIndex = 0 but only =1 (for pivot thus all the content) and =2 for the PopUp. All I needed to do was use zIndex = 0 for the pivot (content) and all worked perfectly even though nothing is at zIndex 1 now (I left the PopUp at 2). Maybe it's generally not a good idea to leave the lowest element blank? ^^

So I think its more like a noob (me) found a very odd configuration to break the control but no good designer would ever stumble upon it =)

So no need to give the ToastPrompt any zIndex. Just don't leave zIndex 0 blank and use ToastPrompt.Show()

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Frank, can you create a bug with a real simple repo for this so I can directly see exactly what is going on?