Standard Tile Icon

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM

The Silverlight Toolkit has the HubTile control, which enables developers to add tiles to their application that have a sliding title (similar to a pinned contact) and (optionally) some content on the back of the tile, with a flip animation to swap between the front and back content.

However, it is not possible to create a pinned tile like this from your application to the actual Start screen. The CreateShellTile API limits us to a title, a count and an image on the front and a title and longer content on the back, though the flip animation is the same (the Me tile is a good example). So, it would be great if the Coding4Fun Tile control had the necessary properties and animations to be able to preview a standard tile within an application before pinning it.

I don't seem to be able to attach images, so I've posted some screenshots that show what I mean to SkyDrive here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c7e795d90fd8af29&id=C7E795D90FD8AF29%21626#cid=C7E795D90FD8AF29&id=C7E795D90FD8AF29%21626 So, in short, I'd like the Tile control to be able to mimic this pinned tile behavior for our applications :)

Thanks,
Derek

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2012 at 6:30 AM

what you want cannot be done with the windows phone SDK 7.5.  What you could do is leverage a background service to update your application tile but you won't get the animated look / feel.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Hi Clint,

I'm not sure I managed to make myself clear. I'm looking for a control that I can use in an application that mimics the standard pinned tile behavior that I (attempted badly) to describe in my original post. This should be a simple enough custom control with a few properties, a couple of states (front and back), a state transition that does the flip, and some code that semi-randomly tells it to change state. I'll most likely write it myself, but was in a hurry and looking for an existing one at the time :)

Thanks,
Derek.

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Derek, I guess I'm not understanding why the HubTile from the SL toolkit won't work?

This will do the flipping animation and what not.  You may have to do a small tweak to force it to flip but it looks like it gets the job done.

<toolkit:HubTile Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="0" 
                                         Margin="12,12,0,0"
                                         Source="/Images/Dessert.jpg"
                                         Title="item"
                                         Notification="2 New things"
                                         DisplayNotification="True"
                                         />