Availability for Windows Phone 8

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I've seen several places where fixes are being made in anticipation of Windows Phone 8.  Is there an estimate on when a Windows Phone 8 version of Coding4Fun will be available?

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I have a version checked that works and compiles directly against WP8 but it is not on nuget yet.  I did a namespace change since I'll be supporting Windows 8 in the near future as well.  Namespace shifted from Coding4Fun.Phone to Coding4Fun.Toolkit. ... that way stuff can be cross platform where appropriate.

- clint

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Wow... so I can use the same toolkit for both Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8?  Sweet!

Will it be done by the end of the year?

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2012 at 7:53 PM

That is the goal.  I'm working on a XAML merger tool right now to help get this working and we have a few new goodies in the pipe line as well.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Any ideas as to the ETA for Win Phone 8 Support?

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Edited Jan 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Toolkit branch has a ton of fixes and I did just get buttons stable again ... yeah, I could start doing nuget pushes.  One fix has to be rolled in first however for overlays on prompts.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Thanks for the update... I've been checking back here frequently, but I didn't want to be pushy.

Again, thanks for all your hard work!

Coordinator
Jan 22, 2013 at 2:22 AM

the big reason for the delay is I view this as a 2.0 release with winstore support. windows store app model is different. I want to be sure that as much as possible, the control API is the same. Buttons proved to be a much harder task due to the lack of opacity mask and GetBindingExpression.

more so, I learned a lot building this out and some controls actually were done incorrectly. I had to go back in and rip the guts out and fix them

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Edited Feb 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Thank you for releasing this! I'm extremely excited to begin updating my current projects.
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM
my pleasure. If you see a bug or have a feature request, please feel free to put in a request!