Update installation using NuGet fails

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I have V2.0.7 of the Coding4Fun Toolkit controls installed in my project. I selected the new updated and clicked install. Visual Studio 2012 (with update 3) crashed. Now the NuGet installed list no longer contains Coding4Fun but when I search for Coding4fun that list shows it installed. when I list updates, the update is still on the list, however, when I try to install it, the screen requiring me to select the target projects has all check boxes gray and I cannot select any of them.

Do you have any suggestions for how to fix this?
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM
weird, roll back? I just updated an absolute beginner series on VS 2012.3 just fine. I did update the nuget.exe I use to do the packaging but that shouldn't affect an end user.
Aug 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM
So, how can I remove it and reinstall it to correct this situation?
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Right away, if your solution is in source control, try rolling back the changes and try again.

Another way is right click on the Solution node in Solution Explorer and select Enable NuGet Package Restore also works.
Aug 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I had already done a lot of coding before I received your suggestion of rollback. I also set Enable NuGet Package Restore but I do not see any help from it. So, my status is
  • Coding4Fun is not on the list of Installed packages.
  • Coding4Fun Toolkit - Controls is on the list of Updates.
  • When I click the Update button, I am presented with a page to select the projects for installation but the check boxes are all grayed out and will not allow me to check, so, when I click OK to update, nothing happens.
How do I get out of this? I would be happy to uninstall and reinstall but I do not see that as an option. Do you know any magic?

Dick
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:24 PM
First, atomic commits :-)

Next, I suggest doing the solution explorer trick to enable NuGet Package Restore as I stated above. That worked for me when I blew away all the files in the packages directory testing to validate results. Before enabling, I did a search for Coding4Fun on nuget, it showed the times as installed but not when you viewed the installed tab, nothing was listed. After I right clicked and enabled the package restore, I compiled and all the references magically were corrected.

If not, email me, clint.rutkas@microsoft.com and we can work on getting you back up and going.