Please add a public Hide method on AboutPrompt

May 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM

The AboutPrompt recently caused my app-verification in Marketplace to fail since it doesn't handle the BackKey very well (or at all actually). I would like to propose that you/we add a public Hide Method that can be called in an overriden OnBackKeyPress in the underlying page. That method would the play the same "hide"-animation as would take place if I instead had pressed the "check"-button.

Coordinator
May 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Hey Johan, I just tested this and the back button does hide the control in the test application.  The only prompt control that I don't take action on with the back button is toast prompts.  Creating a Hide method is pretty easy.

If you could create a Repo for me so I can see what is happening, that would be helpful.  What version of the kit are you using?  Are you overriding the backbutton in your application?

May 5, 2011 at 9:52 AM

You are correct, my bad, but still...

I'm leveraging the OnBackKeyPress event to see if the user actually want to leave the app or not (similar to the Facebook app) with a setting that's modifyable. That's what's causing the behavior in the About Prompt to fail. I'm now simply using a local variable in the page that keeps the instance of the eventually visible AboutPrompt in memory and then setting that variable to null if it's visible when the user hits the back key. A "Hide" method would also play the animation...

Thanks!

Coordinator
May 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Added in Hide method and exposed the OnComplete call.  I'm a bit suprised I didn't do that / test app this.

For the back button, with c#, i can't tell what events have already been wired in.  Your backbutton is wired in before mine as well so your event gets called first.  There is very little that I know I can do to prevent this.  That is why the popup class and anything inherits off of it can leverage the "IsOpen" property.